So I decided to have another go with more cardstock over the weekend. I learned that you need to have 1 thinnish layer of solution on the cards, otherswise the card curls and the solution spreads to the edges of it. It takes longer to dry
and the crystals don't seem to stick to the card as well.
Also tried experimenting to see how well the background takes ink.
I used: (from top to bottom of photos)
Versafine instant dry pigment ink (it smudged a bit)
Staz on Black (perfect)
Perfect Medium and perfect pearls (perfect)
Tim Holtz distress ink (works fine)
Perfect Medium and embossing powder (works fine also)